Saturday, November 9, 2013

Much Ado About What?!

I'm watching the most recent version of "Much Ado About Nothing," or at least I'm trying to watch it. For a movie with what seems to be an excessive amount of both dialogue and monologue, most of the time I have no idea what is going on or what they're saying.

I'm trying to follow it, but there's a disconnect. Sure, I was distracted by some fun Facebook messaging for the first 15 minutes, but now I've been focused for the past 20 minutes or more, and it's almost painful to hear so many words, a constant stream of words, but not understand! It's worse than watching a foreign film without subtitles or being in a foreign country where you don't know the language (I actually like that!). This experience though is really unpleasant, because I do understand the words individually; they're familiar, but I'm simply not comprehending the way they're strung together. It's so disturbing. Plus, the way the characters deliver the lines are totally unpalatable to me.

I used to read plenty of Shakespeare and have seen quite a few plays and movies over the years without any trouble following the story or understanding what they were saying. But there's just something about "Much Ado About Nothing."  I cannot wrap my head around it. I don't get it. And I never have-- I have this vague memory of the previous movie version with Keanu Reeves, and a similar experience of feeling bored and not really getting it. 

As I write this now, with the movie still playing, I'm actually picking up a bit more of what's going on, just a little. But mostly it just seems obnoxious. These people never shut up. I'm pretty sure all these characters have diarrhea of the mouth in a way that other Shakespeare characters do not. Or are they all like this, and I just never noticed? Perhaps....

They have so much to say to each other and out loud to themselves. And I simply don't care. I have no interest in the characters and these lines of dialogue and monologue are sounding more and more like nails on a chalkboard. I think it's time to turn it off.

Ah, yes. Off. Silence. Mmmm, that's nice.

Geez, I did not expect to be writing something like this tonight. Back in the day, I really wanted to be a movie critic. I had a knack for it. But then I developed a distaste for criticizing and complaining.  This blog entry feels a little bit like both of those things to me, but it was also fun to write. ;)

And now?  I think I'll make a tinfoil hat and watch Karmageddon, or just go to sleep.

Yeah, sleep. Bhagavan Das before bedtime is probably not such a good idea.... And perhaps more on that another time.

Bonne nuit!




No comments:

Post a Comment