Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Traveller, part 1

Posted this on Facebook a few days ago:

Well, here it is. I´m posting a note about my journey so far! Let´s see how far I get, as these last few days have been long and rich and full and wonderful!



Starting from the beginning:



The first thing I did when I got through SeaTac airport security was walk past the gift shop full of smoked salmon, and to my surprise I got all teary eyed. I guess I was anticipating missing the stuff, even though I barely ever eat it; it´s just so Seattle! So I walked over to Anthony´s and had a Seattle Scramble (eggs, smoked salmon and cream cheese) for my last breakfast of the year. Then I went into Exoficcio and found an awesome jacket that turns into a pillow!



On the plane to Dallas, I slept/meditated to some Melodies from the Pleiades music for the first hour. Then I spent another hour or so dancing in my seat to hip hop and r&b, feeling so happy to be dancing, and to no longer be too self-conscious to do so-- sure I was holding back a little, but not as much as I used to. I still wonder, How can people just sit still so much? Especially while listening to music?! I´m so grateful for Sheng Zhen Qigong starting me on the path towards more movement, confidence, joy, and love. And Continuum and Ecstatic Dance as well.....



On the flight to Buenos Aires, I pretty much had a whole row to myself, but before stretching out for some sleep, I reflected on most of 2010 and realized that I had traveled in January for 2 weeks, February for 1 week, March for 2 weeks, and then took off at the end of April for 2 months! My African Astrology card ain´t lyin! It says I´m ¨The Traveller.¨ And here I am again, traveling. For 4 months through South America.



Traveling on New Year´s Eve was not exactly what I had imagined. A couple of the flight attendants did have some festive party hats on, and they did hand out noise makers, but there was no count-down, no way to even know when or where it was midnight (well, i guess the pilot would´ve known), and although they were handing out complimentary sparkling wine (just the 1st round; alcohol is no longer free on American Airlines´ international flights), they ran out by the time they got to my row towards the back of the plane. Oh well! I was planning to spend at least the next few weeks sugar-free, and that includes wine, so this was just getting me started a little early.



I probably slept 6-7 hours of the 10 hour flight. Not bad! And I felt pretty good when we landed. Perhaps a bit emotional, as I almost started crying just over the excitement of being there, feeling proud of myself for taking this leap, feeling grateful for the time and ability and finances and courage to travel, and also a little fearful and nervous about walking out into the airpot and searching for a taxi. But as soon as I walked out of the baggage claim area, I was greeted by an English-speaking legitimate taxi service, and the price he quoted was even less than I´d been told to expect, and I could pay ahead of time with my credit card, so it was super easy! (Oh, this is cool. I´m typing this up on day 3 of being here, and I almost write ¨muy facil,¨which, if I have it right, is ¨very easy.¨ :) Yay! After just one day of Spanish lessons, it´s sinking in. More on that soon...)



So, the taxi driver comes, and it´s a geeky, pale, quiet, 20-something year old guy, and I feel at ease because of his demure and peaceful vibe. I still insist on keeping my bags with me instead of the trunk, but mostly for practice, as I know that this will be important later on in my travels. Buenos Aires is relatively safe though, and as I look out the window and see tons of cars parked under trees off the sides of the road along the way, I enjoy the ride to what will be my home for the next 3 1/2 weeks: an apartment that belongs to a woman I met last January at a Continuum Movement retreat. She is in Bali and said I could rent her apartment. It´s in a part of town called Palermo, right by the zoo and two or three gardens and parks.



When the taxi pulls up, I recognize the street from the pictures Ingrid had sent, and Raul, a doorman, comes out to meet me. Ingrid had told him to expect me. He takes my bags and leads me up to the apartment. I walk in and immeditately feel relief, excitement, and that I am at home.



This apartment is absolutely beautiful, even better in person than in photos. The feng shui is just perfecto! The furniture, the colors, the way things are arranged. And I´m surrounded by photos of gurus, artwork depicting gods and goddesses, buddha statues, crystals. If it weren´t for some personal photos, and the fact that I am not nearly as good at decorating and still have excess clutter in my possession, this could be mistaken for my own place! ;) I am inspired to get rid of even more stuff before moving into another place, somewhere, someday.... Oh, her books are right up my alley too: spriritual growth and massage; Ingrid runs a massage school here (Oasis) and also used to (or still sometimes does?) teach at Esalen in Big Sur, California. Within the first few minutes of being in this apartment, I was concerned that I might not want to leave! At all! But alas, I did. After reading Ingrid´s notes, and taking care of her plants and emptying the air conditioning water, I unpacked, ate some lunch, and then went for a little walk around the neighborhood.



New Year´s Day, what´s happening here? Just one block away, there´s a huge Dakar rally. And one of the guys sitting in front of me on the plane was coming down for it. I just didn´t realize that it was starting off one block from me! So, it was loud and dirty and the streets were packed. I just circled around the perimeter of the zoo, which takes up quite a few blocks. After such long travels, I decided that was all for my outing-- oh wait, I think I went out to eat too.....



But today was my first day at school, and it felt like two days, and I am tired. So this is all for now. I will post some more tomorrow or the next day.So stay tuned for tales of my first dining out experience, my first trip to the market, minor things going wrong (just slightly, and getting fixed/figured out) in the apartment, language confusion, public transportation, and what else? Spanish lessons. Tango lessons. At some point I will be meeting some people that I connected with via email. And at some point I might take a 3-5 day trip to Uruguay, or just a day trip, since I am so happy just simply being in this apartment!



And at some point, if I start sending out emails instead or in addition to this, and/or get my blog going again, feel free to let me know what your preference is, so I don´t bombard you with my updates. :) And tagging some folks here to help spread the word, but not sure if i´ll keep tagging; i guess that depends on how often I post stuff....



Chau!

© 2011 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment