Saturday, December 26, 2009

how to go for a walk in Seattle

This is not about having rain gear, a hoodie, or a cup of coffee and/or cell phone in hand. This is not about keeping your head down, eyes averted, not smiling, listening to your iPod. This is about keeping your head up, making eye contact, and smiling at those you walk by. Perhaps even saying, "hello!"

This morning I went for a walk around Greenlake. I could hear the freeway. Hearing this reminded me of the quiet, the silence, in Anacortes, and how I'll miss it when I move back to Seattle. But I know I can find some quiet spots. And I know now that it's in my best interest to make this move.

But the main thing I noticed and thought about during this walk was that most people I encountered looked very serious, and were looking down or straight ahead. No eye contact. No smiles. No words exchanged. And so after awhile I stopped looking. I stopped smiling. I started looking serious. And downward.

I thought about the walks I take in Anacortes. Always smiling. Open. Saying hello to everyone. So peaceful. So happy. So different from this walk at Greenlake in Seattle.

And then it hit me; it doesn't have to be SO different!

As long as I keep shining my light, my light will keep shining and perhaps create a chain reaction in those who are receptive. Just because people in certain places come across as less open and friendly doesn't mean that I need to close myself off, shut myself down. So what if my smiles and eye contact and "good mornings!" are not received well or at all by the majority of the people I walk by? So what? If I'm going to move back here, I need to remain strong in my sense of happiness and openness. I need to bring the small town attitude back into the big city! Or something like that.

And as I was thinking about this, while walking, my posture straightened up, chin tilted slightly up, eyes opened wider, smile came back onto my face-- and there was a witness. In this moment of transformation, I was witnessed by a stranger. He saw my light turning on and getting brighter. And I saw that it made him smile. I saw his light shine brighter.

Phew!

There is hope.

I can do this.

And so I will.

I will continue going for walks in Seattle as if I were still in Anacortes. Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Open-hearted. Smiling. Saying hello. Knowing that not everyone will meet me where I'm at, but knowing that some will. And not only will it keep me feeling good, but I just might unexpectedly brighten somebody else's day. And lord knows we need as much brightness in Seattle as we can get! So let's turn our lights on, wherever we are, and share that light with those around us.

And THAT is how to go for a walk in Seattle.

© 2009 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved.

6 comments:

  1. Yea maybe we can create a shift in that vibe here by the Lake. There is that reserved sense of Seattleites being hyper-respectful of each other's privacy, wanting to not impose on personal space. It is still calming for me, after all the yang jostling of NYC. So there's an aspect that's well-meant and kind of cute...a whole city of shy programmers..!
    But yes, neighbor-pedestrians, do come out of your shells a bit, let your hear-lamps glow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, personal space and respect is important too! So is being authentic; I also don't expect myself or anyone else to *always* feel like connecting to others while out for a walk. Sometimes it's actually quite nice and healthy to be closed off, remain in one's own bubble, etcetera, etcetera.
    Thanks for the comment, Scot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear from many people how "everyone" in Seattle is in some way/at some times reserved, closed off, shuttered up, except to friends and family. It's similar to how some folks complain about other drivers: I talk to many, many people who say that it's *everyone else* who's a crappy driver. Well, if so many people say it about others, then I (we) must be closed off or a crappy driver, in *other's* eyes. See what I mean? That perspective helps me to be a (not perfect) model for gentle driving and kindness/respectful gregariousness to "strangers". Beck, you're taking it one step further and really beaming it: bravo!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. +1 for changing the world from within.

    ReplyDelete
  5. above: that was Frank ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :)
    thanks for the comments, dave and frank!

    ReplyDelete