Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Enchanted by Wimberley

There's just something about Wimberley. Or maybe it's a combination of somethings. Cypress Creek, with ancient trees not just lining the creek but also in the creek. The symphony of cicadas at night. The bright red cardinals in the morning. All the deer roaming around. The tall oak trees providing an abundance of greenery as well as shade.

I've been here before. This is my third time, I think. Maybe my fourth. I think my third. Always for Sheng Zhen Qigong Meditation Retreats or Teacher Training, and always at Camp Young Judea. Who would have thought my first time at a Jewish Day Camp would be in my 30's and for Qigong, an in Texas of all places? It's fun to see myself noticing things this time that I hadn't before, like the cardinals and cicadas. And something else, something magical:

A couple of nights ago I walked down towards the creek at dusk. I noticed a flicker of light. I figured it was somebody with a lighter. But then I saw more, little flickers of golden light popping up all along the creek. I stopped in my tracks and my eyes widened as I questioned, "Fireflies?! Really?!" Yes. Fireflies. I was enchanted. I could only recall seeing fireflies one other time in my life. I stood there on the trail, smiling, watching the light show with childlike awe. I walked off of the trail into the grass towards the creek, wanting to get closer. Wanting to see if I could see what they look like when not illuminated. And then I decided not to go any farther. To just stay where I was, enjoying the mystery.

























© 2012 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment