Wednesday, May 23, 2012

An Unexpected Train of Thought

Ok, so today I actually am traveling, as in I'm actually at an airport about to get on a plane to Austin. And as I overhear someone speaking a foreign language, one I cannot even identify, it occurs to me that one thing I love so much about traveling is NOT understanding the meaning of the words that I'm hearing all around me.

There's something meditative and relaxing about it. Something freeing. At least that's how it feels when there's nothing in particular that needs to be communicated! I do remember the frustrations I encountered at times while living in Buenos Aires learning Spanish. But in general, I sure do love not understanding what people are saying when it's another language they're speaking.

Hmmmm, so I wonder if that could cross over into English, that love of not understanding others. How does it feel to feel misunderstood? How does it feel to not understand what somebody's saying, or for them to say that you don't understand them? I've often been an advocate for striving to understand ourselves and others more clearly, to be understood, by using clear and conscious communication. But sometimes that's overrated. Seriously.  Is it not? Sometimes it's a great tool for growth, for bonding, for feeling more alive or joyful or whatever. But sometimes we encounter people and/or situations that just will not be understood by others. Even when interacting with people from the same place, in a shared language, there can be a cultural or communication barrier. Or how about a "belief" barrier? Or "programming" barrier? Some things are lost in translation even when speaking the same language. And some words mean different things to different people regardless of a dictionary definition, thanks to our past experiences, beliefs, and programming.

So, what if we just felt at peace or even amused when not understanding someone, or when someone is not understanding us? Basically this is about not giving so much weight or importance to the words (or thoughts) of others. I've often felt highly sensitive and easily influenced by the tone or energy behind other people's words. Sometimes I've chosen to isolate because of this. Ok, oftentimes! But I find myself stepping into a new and imporved ability to be more selective about what I share or who I speak to, and/or to just listen and appreciate the good intentions or feel compassion in the face of drama or negative stories.

It's helpful to be really clear about what I want and how I feel about something,  plus seeing so clearly people's tendency to create stories and project their fears and worries and desires. So, I'm learning to be amused and silently or audibly thank all these wonderful story-tellers without taking on their stories. I'm learning to listen less to others and more to myself. I still might run stuff by others, seeking advice or maybe even validation, or just simply wanting to share what's happening without asking for anyone's opinion (not that that stops them from giving it unless I request none at the beginning, and even then sometimes an opinion is still given!)-- but I digress-- Where was I going? Oh yes.  Ultimately it's that voice inside that must prevail. And that is all for now.

Austin sunshine, here I come! :)


© 2012 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved.

4 comments: