Wednesday, September 5, 2012

BioAquatic Therapy, Day 1

--> I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I signed up for this. The main draw was having guaranteed non-touristy dolphin interaction on 2 of the 4 days of this program. It wasn’t until the end of the final day that the teacher revealed that this class ended up being more like the “advanced” class than the plain old “craniosacral” class. Probably because the majority of our small class already had experience with multi-therapist sessions in the water. No wonder….

The first water session was in a pool at the hotel, on Day 1, after the morning’s dolphin swim. It was said that we’d just be getting used to being in the water, getting used to treating and receiving in the water. It was also said that this practice time might turn into an actual treatment session, and to take as much or as little time as we needed. We were 2 groups of 4 with occasional assistance from 1 teacher, 1 assistant, and 1 teacher-in-training.

My group actually got started without me, since I’d run back to my room to get something. This was not the ideal way to begin, especially since it was already appearing to be more of a therapeutic session than a let’s-get-used-to-being-in-the-water type of thing. And the “lead” in my group had been in the Bahamas all summer taking one of these classes after another. I was surprised by some of the things happening, both with the client and with how the other therapists responded. I felt like I had no idea what to do. And I was unable to tune into the craniosacral rhythm. The teacher told me not do anything then. To just keep my hands on and follow the body. She said I’d learn through experience. I felt pretty useless though as I assisted the 3 sessions before it was my turn. I even found myself thinking, “Great, I’ve got 3 more days of this? This definitely isn’t for me. I just want more dolphin time!”

Well, although I’m still clear that being a therapist in the water is not my calling, it turns out that being a client in the water just might be.

My first session, this pool session, was like an epic journey through time and space. It started out with me just floating on my back with 3 pairs of hands supporting various parts of my body. At some point there was a 4th pair of hands. I don’t know how long I spent just breathing deeply and telling myself I was safe, but suddenly there was no more mental chatter and no need for mantras or affirmations. I surrendered completely to the water and the hands supporting me. And my body experienced a kind of freedom that I’m not so sure it’s ever felt, and yet it felt so familiar and so right. As my body elongated and contracted, twisted and turned, arched and curled, I felt as though I were traveling through lifetimes. But it wasn’t like past life flashes; it was far more abstract and even ancient, as if I’d gone back to being some sort of microorganism not yet evolved into this human state. For lack of a better word, it was AWESOME!

At times I felt like a baby in the womb. At times I felt like a little old lady. At times I felt like an animal—ah, yes. The animal. At some point something happened that resulted in what felt like my spine moving back and forth in an s-like motion, and my whole body slithered through the water. Whether that’s what it looked like, I don’t know, but it sure felt like I was slithering and almost in a thrashing around type of way, like I was trying to break free. Not necessarily break free from the hands that were supporting and following me, but something deeper and again, more abstract. I felt like a wild beast!

And then somebody put what felt like a thumb on the top ridge of my bottom teeth applying very slight pressure. It had a soothing effect, as well as sort of affirming this animal-like feeling that had been awakened in me. So odd, and yet so perfect. Not sure why she did it or why it had the effect that it did, but it was one of the highlights of the session.

And when I was done, I felt like a whole new person. Lighter, brighter, happier, more excited, more free in my body and in my mind. I was so eager to write about it and yet it’s taken me a week to find the time and the words. I doubt this does it justice, but it’s a start….


© 2012 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, just awesome ,so wonderful that you are sharing these experiences, I felt like I was there feeling all of this, just so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete