Saturday, January 5, 2013

Arriving at Present Moment

I live across the street from the ocean and hear it all night long. The past two nights I've slept at least 10 hours, having one vivid dream after another. The sound of the waves crashing down and rolling in is relentless, never-ending. Dozens of pelicans fly by throughout the day, sometimes in formation, sometimes not, sometimes surfing the waves, sometimes dive-bombing. Horses walk by a couple times a day. The backdrop is lush green hills. There's a nice breeze to balance our the warm temperature. The ocean is relatively warm. My kitchen is outside. Many structures here are not fully enclosed.

I arrived two days ago. Joe picked me up at the ZIH airport. I'll be filling in for him at this retreat center, Present Moment, in Troncones. After stopping at a store to search for razor blades and coconut oil, two things I couldn't pack without checking a bag (which I did not) we were on our way, with just one more stop along the side of the road. Cocos Frios, fresh coconut water directly from the coconut.

I started to feel excited about the coming weeks. I'd known for months this was something to be excited about, but to honest, I didn't authentically feel it. I'd been so wrapped up in settling into Austin, working with Master Li, and writing my own books, that it almost didn't feel real to me that I was leaving until that car ride with Joe. Maybe that's a good thing, or neither good nor bad. Just was what it was, is what it is. And now I'm here.

And without a laptop.

Yes, no laptop. Instead, two empty notebooks, pens, an iPhone and iPod touch, a print out of my poetry project to work on editing, and water colors. And books, the paper kind and the audio kind. I'll be relearning Spanish and listening to some Osho, at the least. I also got this really strong urge to learn French upon hearing it spoken yesterday. Why not?! It's easy to learn more than one Romance language at a time. And I have declared 2013 as a year for more romance, among other things, so perhaps I will. And it turns out there's a little library here at Present Moment, and some of the books here are just begging to be read. So i'll be plenty busy. With all of that in my free time, if i so choose, plus working full time-- Teaching qigong 6 days a week and offering massage and craniosacral 5 days a week.

What else can I say for now? It's not so easy writing a blog entry on an iPhone, so perhaps no more from now on, or just shorter bursts of inspiration to share?

Speaking of which, my first night here was amazing. Joe and I went to the beach just in time for sunset. And just as I was saying something about not having my camera, thirty-something pelicans flew over us, and relatively low. And then I went in the ocean for the first time since bioaquatic therapy and the dolphins in August. It felt good to be reunited. And the sunset was possibly the most majestic I've ever seen. Perhaps I can find the words to describe it another time. I wrote poem after poem in my head about it, and about the ocean. But now it's getting dark and it's time for me to go. There's so much more to share though! Like meeting the other wellness staff, and the sweet waitress who will help me with my Spanish, and my first meal of posole, tamale and even, shhhhhhh don't tell, chicharones! And a cerveza-- what is it about Mexico that makes beer so appealing? Perhaps more on that too, another time. Perhaps... We shall see; like I said before, blogging from an iPhone is challenging...

And now? There's music at Present Moment tonight! So it's time to get cleaned up after a long day of lounging, swimming, yoga, qigong, and reading. What a life! ;) i am grateful. And looking forward to dancing the night away, assuming it's good music. And if not, I just might have to take my iPod out to the beach and dance under the stars. Tomorrow Joe leaves, and I start work. Mañana mañana... This is gonna be good. It is.


© 2013 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment