Saturday, June 9, 2012

An Epic Week, A House Sold...

Although I'm calling the following "fiction based on true events," I'm still keeping it vague so as not to risk being accused of libel or ruining someone's reputation. It's quite possible that my perception of this woman's actions were inaccurate and influenced by how my attorney and other real estate agents, family, and friends perceived it all, in which case the following truly could be called "fiction"-- isn't all nonfiction really fiction based on true events-- I mean we all have our own ways of perceiving, remembering, and telling a story. Who's version is fiction? Who's version is nonfiction? But I digress! And so the story goes:

I woke up last Saturday morning on Mercer Island with this awful feeling that someone had done something she shouldn't have done. Someone who has the key to my house up north and had some inspections done related to the sale of my house, but without notifying me first. Later that day, while attending a herb fair with some friends, my suspicions were confirmed via email. I knew I had to drive up there. I knew I had to go to my house, to see if I could actually see what she'd done. Or if the way she went about it was harmless and/or undetectable. 


Interestingly enough, when I told a close friend about this, she said she also had an issue with her vacant house up north, just a ferry ride away from mine. So we planned to hit the road the following day to go check in on our houses!

I liked the thought of turning this trip up to Anacortes into a little road trip with a friend instead of just driving up all upset to deal with something this unpleasant all on my own. Not only did the company make it more fun, but it was also incredibly supportive to not be alone in this.

When we arrived at my house, I saw something that upset me so much that my friend suggested I practice some qigong before making the call I was about to make. But it was too late. I was already dialing. And I let this woman have it, pointing out how she'd taken advantage of having a key to my house, should have notified me regardless of her right to conduct these inspections, violated written agreements, had no right to remove something from my property for testing (only a homeowner or someone certified has that right), and I could no longer trust her.

At this point, I was not afraid of scaring her off and not selling my house. I knew that I was in the right and she was in the wrong and there was nothing to lose by stating The Truth, pointing out the facts of what she did, what the agreements say, how I interpret those agreement, and how I feel about it.  I totally lost my cool on the phone with her though, which is a rare thing for me. So when it happens, I suppose I try to trust it and own it. This time I had my doubts and was a little worried though.

On the ferry ride after the call, we did practice some qigong. My friend pointed out that I looked like a whole new woman afterwards. Nevertheless, I still found myself thinking about the whole situation like a tape loop. She offered to do some energetic cord cutting. I gladly took her up on the offer. I felt a bit nauseated afterwards, but better. Clearer. Empowered and at peace with everything I had said. And when I told my lawyer about the conversation the next day, he emphatically said, "Good!" and assured me that I hadn't said anything that was "wrong" or could get me in trouble. I also received the ok to go ahead and make it clear that there'd be no further negotiation, as I was under no obligation to do so at this point. The purchase price was already low, and it made no sense for me to lower it more or put money into repairs at the agreed upon purchase price. Period.

After a long day of driving around, ferry delays, I got back to Seattle just in time for an improv class. Interesting to notice the ways in which running on empty either helped or hindered my participation that night! It was a nice distraction from thinking about all this stuff, at least until the next day, the day her response was due. Tuesday. On Tuesday, I found myself not even wanting this buyer to have my house but also feeling I was in a win win situation. I had accepted the initial offer, so if they still wanted the house, great! And if not, well I'd spend some time this summer making repairs and then rent it out or sell for higher. No problem.

In the evening I went to my weekly class at the Center for Spiritual Living, still hadn't heard anything from the buyer, but was happy to be going into this 3-hour class, figuring that by the end of it there'd be an email or fax waiting for me. This was week 7 of a 10-week class I'd been taking. The topic this time was Money and Abundance. The teacher said something about money representing freedom, and for some people that means owning a house, but for others it means not owning a house. What synchronicity! And when the class was over, I did have a message on my phone, notifying me that a response had come in, and an email in my inbox. I'd sold my house!

There was also a request for a quick close by the end of the week. This was a Tuesday night, which meant escrow would need to know by the end of Wednesday if I'd be able to get my stuff moved out by Friday. I was surprised. And motivated to close quickly. I spent Wednesday seeing clients, teaching qigong, and planning a quick move. Got a UHaul and moving help lined up, as well as a ride up to Anacortes so I could just drive the Uhaul back to Seattle. It all happened so fast, I barely had time to say goodbye to the house. I'd imagined taking longer, maybe even spending at least one more night there. Writing. Or maybe even doing some sort of ceremony. But no. I arrived just in time to pick up the truck in the early evening and meet the movers. Drove back to Seattle in the dark. Spent Friday taking advantage of having the Uhaul to move some more stuff out of my place in Seattle and then unloading it all into my parents' house and garage since this summer I'll be living with them before moving to Austin in the Fall. Yes, lots of moving. Lots of change.

So this Saturday morning, today, I woke up on Mercer Island with feelings of peace, gratitude, and freedom. As of yesterday afternoon, I am no longer a homeowner. I am almost 33. I am almost moved back in with my parents. And it all feels surprisingly good. I'm viewing the summer as like being on summer vacation, and/or a writing sabbatical.

So, what's next? Certainly not that 4plex in Austin that used to be a condemned crack house! ;) But something. Not sure what, or when. But I'm ready. Ready to explore. Ready to find out. With patience, ease, joy, and trust.


© 2012 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment