Saturday, June 9, 2012

Ode to My Deer Friends, and Cockroaches Too

Over the past 7 to10 days, my awareness of the animal world has seemed to be heightened. Perhaps it actually started in Austin, or Wimberley, with the fireflies and cardinals, the cicadas too. Oh, and there were also deer and cockroaches. Cockroaches. Is it strange that when I see them, rather than being disgusted as most people are, I simply crave medjool dates? Seriously, I do. Hope that doesn't ruin dates for ya. 
Mmmm, yummy. ;)

Cockroaches also make me think of Sedona. When I lived there for several months, I rented an apartment in a house that had cockroaches. They never bothered me. They never got in my food or were in the kitchen. I'd be chillin' on the couch and just notice one or two walking across the room, sort of blending in with the carpet. I didn't name them, but sort of thought of them as pets, or at least as friendly visitors. Not doing any harm. But there was this one time that I came out of the shower, and as I wrapped a towel around my wet hair, one fell to the ground. That was a bit disturbing, wondering if there was another cockroach lingering somewhere in my hair.

Wow, I had no idea this blog entry was going to go there. I love it when that happens. I sat down to write about the animals I've seen over the past week or so and what it all means, and out comes these memories of cockroaches in Sedona. Ha!

But what about the deer? Well, the deer were in Wimberely too. But that's not what made me want to write about them today. What made me want to write about them today is that as I pulled the UHaul out of the driveway in Anacortes on Thursday night, I nearly hit one! What a great way to leave my house, the house I'd just sold, and start the journey back to Seattle. What's so great about it? It slowed me down. It calmed me down. It reminded me to be gentle. And to pay attention.

And earlier in the week, out on San Juan island, my friend and I saw a doe and a fawn. Bambi! It was cute. I told my friend about how I used to sort of sleep with this deer when I was living at Heartwood in Northern California. There was this deer that would come over to my place at night, and I could hear it lying down against the side of my cabin, sharing the same wall as my bed. There was something really sweet about it, something special. A memory I'll always cherish.

Other critters that have been showing up: spiders, hummingbirds, bald eagles, crows, sea lions, ducks, and one adorable little bumble bee I so badly wanted to pet. But now I don't want to write about all of those. The cockroaches stole the spotlight. At least for now. So there's my ode that wasn't really an ode if you know the definition of ode. But we can call it my thanks. My thanks to the cockroaches for the date cravings and memories of Sedona, and my thanks to the deer for the reminders of gentleness and Heartwood. I love you, my deer friends, and cockroaches too. 

© 2012 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment