Saturday, June 16, 2012

My First Soiree

I remember it like it was yesterday.
Not really.
But doesn't that sound good?

My first soiree. My first Faux Foret Soiree was in September of 2009, on the same weekend I was attending a 4-day SomatoEmotional Release class. I was at the Embassy Suites hotel in Lynwood. I checked my email in the afternoon and an invite had been forwarded to me by Tim, a man I'd met at Ecstatic Dance and had been getting to know throughout the summer.

I was new to Ecstatic Dance in Seattle, had just started going on some Sundays in May, driving down from Anacortes. And other than Tim, I hadn't really gotten to know any of the other dancers, other than Karen F, or anyone else I had met at Critical Massive or Beloved. This seemed like a good opportunity. And I was intrigued by the invite. It sounded like a talent show.


Not even knowing when or if Tim would be there, or if I'd know anyone there,  decided to go. It was at John A's house. I didn't know John but met him that night. I also met Karin. And Scott W. And Karissa. And Elana. And Becky K. And Dave E. And, of course, Foret.



Sorry if I left anyone out; I do remember at least seeing if not meeting Dave J, Nadine, and Anna K...

But back to Foret.

When I arrived, not many people were there yet, but this huge geodesic dome was set up in the back yard. I entered and saw a man on a ladder, hanging up rags, in a decorative way. This was Foret.

He was like a character out of a novel, from another era. Something Gerard Depardieu about him, with his oversized poet shirt and skinny jeans-- or were they tights?  Not sure if that was actually what he was wearing the first night we met. But it's always how I think of him.



I introduced myself to Foret, and he was kind and welcoming. A twinkle in his eyes. A glistening on his forehead from sweating through the hard work of setting up this dome. I asked him about the Soiree, saying it was my first time. He explained that it was a time for people to perform or share whatever they want to share, whether it be a poem written by self or other, or a song, a story, a dance, whatever-- a time for people to share their gifts with others. I thought about it for a second. I didn't have any of my writing with me. What could I share? Could I lead the group through some Sheng Zhen Qigong? I'm sure Foret said something to the effect of that that would be lovely.

And so I did. And it was lovely. For the first time ever, I lead a group larger than 10-- oh, I suppose I had lead a group of 20 or so at a library intro. But this was different. I'm not sure how many people were there. At least 30, maybe much more. I lead them through Awakening the Soul after sitting through maybe 5 or so others sharing their gifts and thoroughly enjoying it.

I was sitting between Karissa and Dave E., feeling entertained, feeling really comfortable and welcome. Feeling a little nervous, but also really excited to share something I love so much with such a large group. It was really a meaningful and memorable experience, all thanks to Foret for providing the space and the opportunity. And from then on, I was hooked. I couldn't wait for the next Soiree!

Speaking of which, it was also meaningful and memorable in that that's where I met Dave, who I ended up dating for a few months, and who also hosted the next Soireee, where I lead an even larger group through Awakening the Soul, this time with the contemplations, and to people in fabulous Halloween Costumes! Although the relationship was short, it was quite significant in many ways that I won't get into here. But I will say that although I've been told I was quickly welcomed into the "inner circle" quite fast on my own merit, I am sure that that relationship had something to do with it. And I am so grateful for the Ecstatic Dance and Turtle Dance community and the circle of friends and acquaintances I hold so dear to my heart now. Thanks to all of them, all of you, I felt compelled to leave Anacortes and move to Seattle to be closer to all the fun, creativity, love, dance, cuddles, connection.


It occurs to me now that it's quite possible I could still be living in Anacortes, rarely coming down for dance, if it hadn't been for that first soiree. It occurs to me now that even my travels with Adrian may not have happened if it hadn't been for that first soiree, or the 2nd one where I met him. Then again, who knows? Perhaps other paths would have lead me to the same destinations. But for now, in honor of Foret, in memory of Foret, I'd like to give him and his soirees some major credit.


So, I thank you, Foret. May you rest in peace. And keep dancing. Last Sunday I saw you everywhere, all over the dance floor, and all at once, like there were a dozen or more of you there all at one time. It was actually quite comical. And I danced and danced and danced, celebrating how lucky I am to have survived my accident and surgeries, how lucky I am to still be alive and so able to move. When I heard you were in the hospital, I sent prayers and Reiki your way, and I was saddened and shocked to hear of your passing. But rather than dancing sadness last Sunday, I danced gratitude and celebration, not just for my life but for yours as well, and for your role in my life and the lives of many others.

At Michelle's party
Although we never hung out one on one, you certainly had a special place in my heart, and I sit here smiling as more memories come back to me, like the time we danced upstairs at Michelle H's graduation party, and the time we saw each other at Victrola shortly after you'd returned from Portland to my surprise. Surely I'll continue seeing you, in your oversized poet shirts for years to come. Thank you for the soirees. Thank you for the dances.
 

 

***If anyone in these pictures doesn't want them online in my blog, please just tell me and I'll edit it. ***


© 2012 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment