Wednesday, October 31, 2012

UFO Gathering

When I arrived in Austin, I signed in to Meetup.com and joined some groups. One was Austin's Center for Spiritual Living. I was headed towards membership in Seattle and was hoping to enjoy Austin's center just as much. When I looked over what types of "meetups" were listed, I noticed a "UFO Gathering Support Group."

Hmmmmm, strange.

I was stumped. And a little turned off. I certainly believe in UFO's; I saw one once. But why would anyone need a support group for that? The only support I would need might be to feel no hesitation to admit it without fear of people thinking I'm crazy or trying to convince me that it was just some sort of atmospheric phenomenon-- oh, look, I just admitted it without hesitation! No support group needed, thank you.

Now, an alien abduction support group I'd understand; it would still be strange to see something like that offered at CSL, but it would make more sense to me than a UFO support group. And what was meant by "UFO Gathering?"

Despite my curiosity, I did not read the description for more information. Instead I just looked over the other meetup titles and dates and realized that between Sheng Zhen classes and Ecstatic Dances, I have schedule conflicts for all of them.
A few weeks have passed since then, and I just received an email reminder for the UFO meetup. This time I notice something that definitely was not there before.

It says: "UFO Gathering (UnFinishedObjects) Support Group"

Aha! Austin is not as weird as I thought. It's a "support group" for unfinished arts and crafts projects! Ha! I still won't be attending, but seeing this made me smile and laugh at myself for the assumptions I made.

Maybe next time I'll get more information before jumping to any conclusions. Then again, the whole thing was pretty funny, sort of like with the tricyclist I saw the other day. So maybe in some situations my assumptions serve a higher purpose: amusement.



© 2012 Rebecca Clio Gould. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment