Friday, January 23, 2009

1 Adam down, 2 to go....

As I walked up to the door of the Massage Sanctuary, I saw a familiar profile. At first I wasn't even surprised. It was as if I knew he'd be there. Although I hadn't seen him in 3 or 4 years, I had seen him yesterday in my mind's eye while receiving CranioSacral. I had this little waking dream of being at a wedding and holding a baby that was not mine. Perhaps it was his. And he was getting married. But first it wasn't him; it was my brother. And then it was him. And then it was my brother again. 

When I walked through the door, his back was to me, and I said, "Adam?!" He turned around, and yes it was. It was 1 of my 3 Adams. Yes, 3 Adams all overlapping in some way in my life. There's the ex-husband, the on-again-off-again temptation turned friend, and then there's this one, the summer fling. We met in 2000, totally hit it off, but didn't date for long; he was wonderful in many ways (hence our agreement that he was the "good" Adam in comparison to the other Adam in my life, the "bad" Adam, the temptation). Although Adam A. was good, he had one fatal flaw: he looked too much like my brother! And he had his own reasons too for agreeing we were better off as friends. And so friends we became. He and his wife were even there a few years later when I married Adam #3! And shortly after that wedding was the last time we saw each other.

And as usual in my life, when it rains it pours. Today it's pouring Adams. Apparently the one formerly known as "bad" thought we were meeting for lunch today. I thought it was next week. It's been more than a year since we've seen each other, and I rarely hear from him. So to hear from him and plan to get together around the same time that I run into Adam A. is pretty darn erie.  And so at this rate I won't be surprised if I wake up to an email from my ex-husband!




No comments:

Post a Comment