Saturday, January 31, 2009

Being Human

"How about just being human?" she asked me. 

One of my weekly clients and I always end up in deep philosophical conversations, the first of which started with, "What is love?"-- but that's a whole other story. Last week, the question was about just being human, just a few days after my CranioSacral workshop in which my teacher had the initials "H.B" after his name, standing for "Human Being."

My client asked me about this during a conversation about self-judgments, self-analyses, and pursuit of "self-mastery." "What the heck is self-mastery?" she asked. So many questions, so little time...."How about just being human?"

"Just being."

It was a great reminder on a day that I had started off feeling cranky, making assumptions, taking things personally, and creating drama. But it wasn't enough to take away my self-criticism. It wasn't enough to make me laugh at myself or feel that there was no need to apologize.

And so I did apologize, later, on the phone, to someone who also brought up this whole "being human" thing.

"Why apologize? You're just being human."

Yes, he was right. As was my client. And finally it was sinking in. Sometimes I forget, and even when reminded, sometimes it's hard to accept, to surrender, to let go of questions, doubts, stories. Sometimes it's hard to just sit with the negative emotions and embrace them, taking in what they're here to show me. Sometimes it's hard not to judge myself, for "just being human!"
Sometimes I have to take a step back to take a leap forward. 

I saw this poem in a brochure yesterday, and it really resonated with me, with this theme of "being human" that's come up over the past week:
The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes 
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture.
Still, treat each guest honorably.
It may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing, 
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guest from beyond.

--Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment