Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sheng Zhen Qigong marathon Part 5: Mohammed Sitting and Standing

I <3 Mohammed.
I think I'm in love.
I love this form.
It's my new favorite.
I'd like to start practicing it.
But I'm concerned I might develop "bad habits" of doing the movements "wrong," since it is difficult to follow along with the DVD and I have never taken a Mohammed Standing workshop. Speaking of which, Sign me up! Surely I would attend.

So what's so great about Mohammed Sitting and Standing? There's a rootedness and an aliveness that comes though the movements and the contemplations. A fullness. Not airy. Not empty. Full and rooted. And it's great for moving energy. It's more active.

I enjoy the largeness of the movements. The pace of the movements. It's what my body needs. And it went along well with how I started my day. I started my day with a Continuum dive. Funny thing happened during open attention; I found myself doing the first move of Kuan Yin Sitting. It felt so natural. It gave me an idea to experiment with warming up for qigong with continuum. And I do think that starting my day with Continuum helped me feel the flow and the freedom within the movements of Mohammed Standing, despite the challenges of following along with the DVD.

The fourth movement of Mohammed Sitting, Attaining Pure Consciousness, was my favorite in this form, at least my favorite today. Bending forward in submission, arms stretched back, trusting that the heart knows what the mind does not yet understand.

And the Third movment of Mohammed STanding, Floating in a Mist of Truth-- wow!
Just be natural. Do whatever feels comfortable...Go wherever you wish to go.
I appreciated this message. But now, as I typed it, I question the "comfortable" part. Physically, yes. But beyond that, sometimes it's better to do what feels uncomfortable or unnatural. How to know when?

When is it good to get out of our comfort zone? Sometimes what's comfortable really is what's right, not just what's safe, not just what's a habit. And how to know when what's safe and what's a habit is what's best? Must we analyze it all, or can we rely on an inner feeling-- people say to follow your heart, follow your feelings. So does the mind and thinking get in the way?

Sometimes it feels so good to release these questions into cyberspace! Sometimes I read them later and am surprised I was even asking them....

No comments:

Post a Comment