Sunday, February 15, 2009

Revisiting Stillness

Reason has no place in cosmic art. That's what that Stillness poem says. It says "do not dare to ask." And this morning I'm questioning that. This morning that particular line disturbs me.
I understand the importance of stillness, but we need motion just as much as we need stillness. Daring to ask is not the problem. Too many people don't dare to ask. Being able to ask, and then letting go-- that sounds right to me. The motion of seeking and asking. The stillness of letting go and being open to answers that may come later and may come in a form that we don't even recognize as the answer at first.

Seek not to know why you are, the poem says. But doesn't contemplating and finding meaning and understanding make life more rich? It's when these questions and desires to know the answers become tormenting-- oh and the poem is addressed to a "tormented" friend. And last night when I read this I noticed the messages of stillness and unity more, and that resonated with me. This morning I'm noticing the other aspect. And although it's meant to be soothing, the one-sidedness of it it does not soothe me, at least not this morning. But that's ok. Last night it did soothe me, as I was feeling some torment. And last month I wrote something very similar, something about not seeking, or maybe it was about seeking within rather than without--- maybe I'll take a look at it when I get back home.....

No comments:

Post a Comment