Friday, February 6, 2009

A Walk in the Dark in the Rain

As soon as I woke up, I went for a walk in the dark in the rain. No hat. No hood. Just letting the rain cleanse me.

It felt so refreshing, so energizing, and so surprisingly liberating.

Why liberating? Because my whole life I've been hearing, "Where's your hat? Don't you have a coat? You'll catch a cold--" etcetera, etcetera.

Although now I understand that if the body is busy trying to keep me warm, I may be more susceptible to getting sick, because energy is being taken away from my immune system. HOWEVER, as a child I just associated cold and rain with getting sick. And even though, at an early age, I figured out you can't really get sick from the cold or the rain, the damage was already done; cold and rain were to be feared and avoided.

Today I'm unsubscribing from that reality!

So winters in Washington are about to get a whole lot easier, a whole lot more enjoyable.

Hmmm, as I read over this I'm wishing I had a tape recorder in my brain, or in my pocket; I had so many deep thoughts on this during my walk, but a shower and a breakfast and an ad revision later, I can't remember them all. But that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment