Tuesday, February 17, 2009

should aardvarks love truth

"Should" is one of those words I'd like to remove from my vocabulary. And I'm not the only one. Went for a walk today with a good friend, asked him what he thought of the word "should," and he said he's been working on removing it from his vocabulary too. Turns out that lately he has been thinking a lot about what words mean and how people use them. So have I. So have a couple other VIPs in my life. Although it was years ago that I started avoiding the "s" word (should), I didn't think so much about other words until recently. At Heartwood, my awareness was raised regarding "conscious communication," but I wasn't thinking much about what commonly used words meant and how they might be misused or misinterpreted. That didn't start until this past Fall when one of my client's asked me how I'd define love. It wasn't long before I was looking up words in the dictionary, staying up all night writing about love and truth and pain and aardvarks. Yes, aardvarks. I had this idea to just start at the beginning of the dictionary, but then I decided against it.
Was that a tangent I just went off on? I sat down here planning to write about how I realized that I SHOULD cancel a deep tissue workshop I had signed up for, because I had only signed up for it because I thought I SHOULD. Oh, and that's another common theme among those I'm around: planning. The difficulty of and aversion to making plans. Just go with the flow. Let nature take it's course. See how you feel closer to the time. Etcetera, etcetera....
But back to deep tissue....I'm not a deep tissue person. Not a deep tissue massage therapist. That's what I tell people when they ask. So why the heck was I going to spend 2 days and $300 learning all sorts of techniques I'll never use? I'd be better off asking MY massage therapist to show me a couple of tricks. Or just believing and intending that my lighter methods and my presence will assist my clients in releasing whatever it is that I thought those deep tissue techniques might release. I'm reminded again that I often get in my own way. My beliefs, my doubts, my fears, they get in the way. Better to focus on my gifts and strengths rather than fabricating inadequacies and needs for improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment